Re: Bad gas?

To: "William H. Whitney" <bill-whitney@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Bad gas?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 19:01:45 -0400
At 08:11 AM 5/1/98 -0400, William H. Whitney wrote:
>Hi, everyone...
>
>I just purchased a Bricklin that was sitting for about 5 years. The
>owner started it once every week or so, but never drove it. The gas tank
>was never let to get lower than 1/2 full. What is happening now is that
>when the tank gets to the half way point, the engine sputters and back
>fires, then dies and won't start. Putting fresh gas in the tank resolves
>the problem. Then when the tank gets to half again, the problem recurs.
>
>My assumption is that there is half a tank of gas that has been sitting
>there for five years and has broken down into shellac. When this gas
>gets in the fuel line, it messes up the engine. I feel the solution is
>to empty and pull the gas tank, clean it and the full lines out, replace
>fuel filters, etc. and start with all fresh gas. Before doing all that,
>I was wondering if someone had another solution that might be easier.

Bill,

   Sounds like you hit the nail right on the head.  I've had that problem
with the 74 of my friend.  If you've been running the car with new gas
after  it sputters, etc. you shouldn't have to worry about cleaning the
lines.  The "new" gas will have done that.  But you will have to drop
the tank to drain the fuel.

   For what it's worth, you might want to take the tank to a radiator
shop while its out of the car, and have them install a plug in the
bottom.  That way, you'll be able to drain the gas easily if you
ever have to do it again.  Not to mention that if you have a full tank
of gas, it's easier to drain it then drop it than to try an drop the
tank when it's full of gas.

   Also check the condition of the sending unit and it's screen filter.
The one in my friends 74 was eaten up with rust.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V