Re: Bad gas solution

To: "William H. Whitney" <bill-whitney@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Bad gas solution
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 10:46:41 -0400
At 05:09 PM 5/16/98 -0400, William H. Whitney wrote:

>Well, all my theories on bad gas in my tank were incorrect. It's not bad
>gas; nor is it a defective gas gauge; nor is it a rusted hole in the
>feed line that goes through the tank (our best guess). We pulled the
>tank and found is had plenty of gas --- also, plenty of water and plenty
>of rust; the latter two as a result of the car sitting with a half tank
>of gas for five years.....

>A complete cleansing of the tank and replacement of the feed tube and
>sending unit would be sufficient except that the tank is rusted so bad,
>we feel it's best to start from scratch with a new tank, sending unit,
>fuel filter, etc.

Let us know how the search for a new tank goes.  We have had 2 of them
lined and reused the original ones.  The sending units are a bit of a
problem.  I've not be able to find an aftermaket source except from some
of the AMC vendors.

However, I posted this last week sometime.  If you are ordering a sending
unit,  check the original one 1st.  There are 2 locating tits just offset
from the vertical centerline of the sending unit.  These are used to
hold the sending unit in the correct position when the locking ring
is put on.  I have a sending unit out of an old AMC Hornet or Gremlin
that we parted out.  Anyway, my friend need a sending unit for his 74
so I gave him my spare.  Come to find out, the locating tabs of the
spare (used one) are on the wrong side.  So have the place you order
it from check before they send it to you.

>Word to the wise: If storing a car, follow John Blair's storage tips in
>the January 1998 issue of _Brickline_, one of which is to keep the tank
>full and add fuel stabilizer.

Correction, the article was written by Lou Ratsos.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V