86 5.0 Econoline as donor vehicle?

Subject: 86 5.0 Econoline as donor vehicle?
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 12:33:29 -0400
Hi all.

Well, it appears that my dad is getting rid of his '85 5.0-powered,
AOD-equipped Econoline 150 van at around the same time that I'm starting to
look seriously for transmission and EFI solutions.

I've been teetering between an AOD and T-5 as the transmission of choice,
but I think I may go with the AOD with a shift kit, possibly an aftermarket
valve body, and an aftermarket shifter, simply because everything fits and
I wouldn't have to go through the hassle associated with retrofitting the
5-speed.

So, if I was going to go with the AOD, are there any Ford experts out there
that could tell me if there's any reason I shouldn't use the truck tranny?
 I figure that since I'm planning on a shift kit at the very least, and
possibly an aftermarket valve body, the truck tranny should be able to work
just fine in a performance application.  Sound correct?

Next up, EFI.  I'd really like to go with an EFI solution of some sort.  I
know that Ford Motorsport sells a wiring harness to simplify retrofitting
the 5.0 EFI into older machines.  I also believe that I can get the lower
intake for a 5.8, and bolt on the upper manifold from my dad's 5.0 as an
induction solution (although I'd definitely want to port the thing out).
 If I use my dad's EEC computer, injectors, O2 sensor, etc, with an
aftermarket chip (like one from HyperTech), could I expect it to work OK in
a performance application like a mildly-built 351?

I can appreciate that the truck parts might not be ideal, but I don't think
I can beat the price, so if this can be made to work, I believe I'd like to
do it.

Any advice, info, or pointers very much appreciated.  Does Ford Motorsport
have some kind of tech line I could call for advice about this?

Thanks a lot,
--
Phil Martin                             pmartin@isgtec.com
"If we finally made our peace and went our separate ways,