Fw: 5.0 T-Bird as donor update

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: 5.0 T-Bird as donor update
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:53:00 -0400
-----Original Message-----

> 3) IRS - nothing definitive.  The rear track of the T-bird is 60.2
inches,
>vs 56.9 for the Brick.  I don't have hub-to-hub measurements for
either
>car.  I do have a friend with a T-bird though, I can probably talk
him into
>getting under his car and measuring it.  Could someone whose car is
handy
>make a similar measurement?  Maybe it's close enough that it could
be
>managed just by specifying the right offsets with a set of custom
wheels.
============
The T'bird and Bricklin have amost the same offset, so this won't
work in stock form.
============
>So, the T-bird doesn't look like the cure-all it once appeared to
be, but
>that IRS still has me interested.  If it ends up being a bit too
wide
>(like, say, 2" overall), would it be feasible to just move the
control arm
>mount points inboard 1" on each side & get the half-shafts
shortened?
  Is
>there any reason to think that this would lead to a significant
change in
>the suspension geometry?
============
No, but  you will be changing the pivot point in relation to the
inner half-shaft pivot point. This could cause binding and
destruction of the hub bearings if it's not a sliding yoke design.
============
  Is it possible to shorten a half-shaft without
>damaging it?
Any competent driveline repair shop can do it.
  Any thoughts, please?
As I mentioned awhile back, I think a better way would be to make
custom tubular A-arms that are the correct length ala' Panoz. With
screw in heim joints, you would have camber/toe-in adjustment also.

GM