Could someone describe the amp meter scheme?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Could someone describe the amp meter scheme?
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 00:55:29 PDT
I am a bit confused about the wiring of this device.  As I understand,
to detect the flow of current the meter is wired in line.  But this and
most all the devices that I have seen used in cars are not wired this
way -- it would be too hard to get the huge wire under the dash!  So I
kinda figure that there must be some induction device somewhere that
"sends" the reading to the gauge.  Am I way off base here?  Thanks, Kim.