Fw: Ball Joints / Tie Rods

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Ball Joints / Tie Rods
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:28:00 -0400
Wow Tom! You should have been here when we discussed brakes. You
would have been apoplectic! As for suspension failures due to
heating ball joints to get them
apart borders on the ridiculous. This does assume you're replacing
the ball joint. I admit you shouldn't use much heat if you plan on
reusing it, but that's not what the question was about. I agree that
if you heated an upright until it is white hot for long enough, then
splash it with water, it will prematurely fail. Normally, a stamped
steel part may deform a little, but won't catastrophically fail as
you suggest. Every alignment shop I've been in
(and I imagine you too) has an oxyacetylene rig for this and other
situations when conventional means fail. I agree suspension work has
an element of risk, experienced or not, just a little bit of common
sense concerning safety is required as with any project. Are you
also against having electrical appliances / power tools in the home
/ shop without formal training in their proper use? BTW, as a
teacher, why this negative approach instead of some helpful hints,
and encouragement?

GM