Fw: Ball Joint Replacement

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Ball Joint Replacement
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:32:20 -0400

>What specifically did you disagree with?  I think you have simply
restated
>what I said.  Learn how to do it right.  There is no question that
the
>advice apparently given was dangerously ignorant
=========
How so? I've used each variation enough times that I don't consider
my continued safety a flute. The only time I ever had a problem was
when an "el cheapo" compressor failed. Fortunately, I'm paranoid
enough to always assume the worst. If you recall, I gave the correct
advice with the other as "not first choice" supplements.
=========
- but I don't think that
>this a priori means that recipients of bad advice are incapable of
learning
>the correct procedure and must resign themselves to forever hiring
>"professional" mechanics.  He obviously had enough "common sense"
to seek
>further advice.  I think this speaks well of his potential.   As a
>mechanical engineer
=========
Now I see why it was "dangerously ignorant". I didn't write a
complete tutorial with photos.
=========
 with a lifetime of automotive experience perhaps I
>overestimate the average persons capability to perform mechanical
>maintenance
=========
It's been my experience that's a bad assumption, but, like you I
firmly believe everyone has the right to learn it himself.
=========
 but, although it is potentially hazardous,  replacing a ball
>joint isn't technically demanding.  My experience with the so
called
>"professional" mechanics is that they perform work incorrectly with
an
>unacceptable frequency
=========
Real professionals routinely take shortcuts or actually have a
better and / or faster way than what's in the repair manuals. They
don't have any choice. Theyre paid by the piece with a small base
salary.
=========
- which is the reason I still do my own work even
>though the day when money was an issue are long past.   Again, as I
stated
>in my posting, one must learn the correct procedures and have the
correct
>tools before embarking on any maintenance activity
=========
Having the 'correct tools' is nice, but is only necessary when an
alternative is nonexistant. As always, paying lip service to safety
is always a given.
=========
 - but lets avoid the
>elitist attitude that assumes others can not do what we easily can.
=========
You bet.

GM