Fw: Another vehicle registration puzzle...

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Another vehicle registration puzzle...
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 19:00:20 -0500

> Kevin, have you heard of the President's "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy??
>
> First off, I would demand the title and a bill of sale at the time of
> purchase of the car in NJ.  If the car needs restoration, you should
> not have paid that much for it.
=======
Sounds good so far. If the car's not registered, then no need to inform N.J.
It might as well be a sofa.
=======

> Next.  Go streight to the DMV in CA. and register the car.  You should
> not have to purchase the tags at that time.  I know this is the way it
> works in VA.  When I purchased 887, it had a NY title.  I sat on it for
> about 5 years before I registered it.  I only registered it so I could
> get insurance on it while it is being restored (by me - again, no one
> has to know WHO is doing the work).  I pay $25 per yr to insure a car
> that can't be driven.  A real deal I think!!
>
> Now when you are ready to get the car from Terry, take your reg. back to
> the CA. DMV and get the tags.  Carry the tags on the plane with you, put
> them on, and drive the car back to CA.
=======
If Ca. is like the 13 county metro Atlanta area (I think it may be, since
our smog regs are modeled after Ca.), then the car must first be smog
tested, to get the proper document, before you can buy a tag, since it's not
a new car.

If that's the case, then you would have to buy a Va. tag (I assume only
having a clear title from Ca. is sufficient) and pay local ad valorum taxes,
then drive to Ca., retest within X number of days, buy a new tag.

GM