Re: Compressor

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressor
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 12:27:44 -0400
Hey gang,

  Here is a responce I wrote to Scott about wiring his compressor.  I don't
think I've sent it to the group.  If I did, just delete it.

----------

At 09:29 PM 3/28/99 EST, Scott Isensee wrote:
>Hooking the compressor up so that it only comes on when the ignition is on
>sounds like a good idea. Where did you connect it? The current load is
high so
>I am not sure where to attach it without blowing fuses.
>
>I currently have mine hooked up to the battery side of the starter solenoid.
>That's not ignition switched so I have to flip a switch to turn on the
>compressor.

I haven't seen any responces to this yet.  I wrote an article on this for
the Brickline a while back.  I strongly using a relay to switch the power
to the compressor.  Otherwise you'll have problems getting enough power
from any of the switched 12V lines.

Assuming that you are going to us a relay to switch the main power, there
is a Pink wire comming off the ignition switch.  This is will only be
hot when the ign. switch is in the run position.  It goes to the bus bar
on the fuse block for the guages, defroster, heater and directions signals.
I would suggest that you tap off the power on the out put side of the fuse
for the guages or defroster.

Assuming that you mount the compressor on the front chassis crossmember
behind the bumper, I would also mount a toggle switch up there.  Take power
off of the main power feed for the relay to the switch.  Then from the switch
take the power up to the control solenoid for the relay.  This way, if the
car has been sitting for a long time and the air tank is empty, you can
fill it from outside the car by turning on this switch.

You might want to install a diode between the relay and the fues block so
that when you turn on this switch you don't back feed the fuse panel.

Hope this help.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi