Re: door braces

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: door braces
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:03:27 -0400
At 09:34 PM 9/25/99 -0700, George Iluk wrote:

>Don't understand what kind of crack this is ? Is it for a break in the
>metal or a bend in the metal. Is this something that could be put in the
>magazine and then people just zerox the template?

George,

  If you have had Terry work on your doors, it has probably been fixed.  If
not, the metal on the back of the doors where it changes from horizontal
(roof)
to vertical has a tendency to crack.  This is caused by the stresses on the
door and the metal being too thin there.  The result is that the door skin
will crack there also, the door will NOT align properly, etc.

  This brace is welded on to the door under the skin and is a normal part of
any door restoration.  Welding it in is very tricky as the reinforcement is
much thicker than the door metal.  You also have to have the door hung to
set the brace so that the alignment is correct.

  We could probably put it in the magazine, but the template takes 1 8x11"
sheet of paper to hold the template.  This might be a wast of space.  I'm
off to have breakfast with Terry, so I'll ask him (since he made it) and
see if he minds.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org