Re: Paint or not to Paint

To: Maycinc@cs.com
Subject: Re: Paint or not to Paint
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:21:18 -0500
At 09:29 PM 2/1/00 EST, Maycinc@cs.com wrote:

>Since I have to replace several panels on ol' 1343, I'm probably going to
>have to paint the whole car.   The front fenders, hood extension, and
>driver's door panel are all in great shape and it doesn't seem right to
paint
>over them (the rear quarter panels are also good but it's too much trouble
>remove them).  So... my options are:

Marvin,

   I don't think the is a truly correct answer.

>1) Paint only the panels I replace (hood, rear hatch, roof and passenger
>door).

The problem here is that you need a really good painter and paint mixer to
get the paint the same color (faded, etc) white that the acrylic panels are.
Also are you sure all the panels are the same color?  If you have great
painter & mixer and the panels are really the same color, this would be the
cheapest.

My guess at a price for this, is from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on the
work required.

>2) Paint the whole car including the good panels.

This is what I'm doing.  I've replaced my T roof, door skins and A pillars
with fiberglass panels.  (I don't have enough money to buy a new fiberglass
body.)  Therefore, I'll have to paint these parts.  However, I plan on
doing the painting myself.  Based on painting my wife's Mini Van I should
be able to purchase the supplies for about $500.  There will be NO special
mixing to match any of the panels, but I want to go back with the original
color (red).  This will make my job a lot easier, and it should be a lot
cheaper than farming out the paint job.

Farming out the paint job would cost from $2,500 to $4,000.

>3) Replace the acrylic fenders, hood extension, and drivers panel with
>fiberglass and paint the whole car.

Are you fanatical about the acrylic panels and "being all original"?  Do
you have air doors?  If so, you ain't "all original" to start with.  The
fiberglass panels are cheaper than the acrylic panels by a little.  You
can't be guarrenteed that the various acrylic panels will match the color
or your existing panels (even if you sand blast down into the acrylic to
get new color pigment). Finally, why are you replacing any of the panels
any way?  CRACKS?  Quess what, the new acrylic panels will crack and warp
also.  That is one of the advantages of the "new" replacement fiberglass
panels - they are a lot stronger than the original panels.

Shipping is a problem, and in the past some vendors would NOT send acrylic
panels - I don't know about the fiberglass panels.  However, if the fiberglass
panel gets broken in shipment (very possible with door skins) it's no big
deal, the break can be fixed once the panel is on the car.

Hope this muddies the waters a little.

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire