Bricklin photo in current AACA magazine

To: "'Bricklin email list'" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bricklin photo in current AACA magazine
From: "Fedeli, Joe" <paa5072@dscp.dla.mil>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:35:40 -0400
FYI...my SAGA from the fall car show, but was fun for me!  Let me share my
experience.  I understand that most owners do not have original cars, but
this might be of interest to them.

        This is my Bricklin that won the AACA Second Junior @ Hershey, PA in
the fall 1999 meet.  According to AACA records, my Bricklin was the first to
be entered and win an award @ any national AACA event along with being
photographed for inclusion in the magazine according to the AACA President.
The judges did not 'know' anything about the car and were looking for the
'spare tire' (lost points on this one!) along with the 'wrong engine' in my
car (where was that damn FORD engine in the '74 - who took it?) - got that
corrected by showing the brochure.  Apparently, my 'kit car' also had the
modified addition of the 4-speed as all Bricklins produced were automatics.
Also, I 'lost points' on the 'ripple effects' of the (acrylic) 'paint' from
the 'C' Bricklin class quality release (Mal's 'A', 'B' & 'C' classification
for quality assurance - just about all cars were released in this 'C' class
from Canada according to my research).  Lost points on 'no battery' under
the hood (the vented cap system battery apparently is not original - Terry
again mis-guidance by you - HA - when will you learn!).  According to the
judging results, all the original Bricklin cars were 'painted' the different
'mod' colors and NOT impregnated with color in the acrylics as they were
painted fiberglass.  My blemishes, from rough assembly by the skilled
Bricklin (crack - get it!) team in production, was not the norm according to
my follow-up to the judging results.  When I attempted to provide the AACA
team (about 6 of them) with all sorts of independent original documentation,
it was rejected as they 'know the items that are right and wrong' on the
car.  Terry Tanner's (great - in my opinion) judging list is NOT acceptable
to AACA requirements as the local Bricklin clubs are not aware of the
original production manufacturing procedures for the car!  Terry, you need
to get educated on the Bricklin car!   You better ask Mal & the AACA how he
put it together Terry or you will NEVER do anything right!  It's ashame
Terry did not work on the production of the car.  I told the judges of the
independent documents that could be used for reference on specifics for the
Bricklin, but this was also rejected.
        The 'moral' of this saga is the acceptance criteria is based more on
independent individual judgements by the reviewing officials @ an AACA meet,
their personal 'experience & knowledge' on the car, and flexibility to
'allow' independent 3rd party confirmation documentation for reference if
needed.  One thing I would recommend that the Bricklin club (and Terry if he
learns what he is doing according to the AACA!?) need to do is to update the
official Bricklin judging 'list' @ least for original cars (which are
probably very few now) that might allow a better evaluation and knowledge of
the car by an AACA judge that will 'accept it' for reference.  I would be
willing to assist/share in my experience in this change effort if the club
sees the need to 'update' the judging rules.  Please contact me directly if
necessary.  By the way, I lost points on the lack of the right side exterior
key lock (must be under the paint job and body putty), interior right side
door lock switch, and wrong clamps on the engine (Terry when are your going
to learn the original clamps the Bricklin production team put on the car are
WRONG...you go the back of the Bricklin assembly line!).  I would HIGHLY
recommend that anyone taking their car (ORIGINAL stock only) to an AACA
event be prepared for the snickering looks the judges provide, however, I
believe it is worth the effort to publicize the Bricklin marque and all day
I was BURIED with questions and interest.  I was a good marketing tool for
the Bricklin and the club in my opinion.  Someone, please send me some blank
membership forms as I was asked for some @ the show and did not have
any...cheap advertising for our club I believe!  Your thought and opinions
are welcomed.

Joe Fedeli

P.S.  Before the show, my car was detailed for 3 months and EVERY item on my
low mileage original Bricklin was checked and double checked to original
specs as per Terry's guidance and numerous Brickline articles, photos,
etc.......and $1.5K in detailing alone!