RE: Power Booster

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Power Booster
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:11:44 -0400
At 12:46 PM 4/25/00 -0700, David Ebel wrote:

>Well everyone seams to doubt the proportioning valve is the problem, but it
>really looks that way to me.  The brakes light is on in the car, and we know
>that the drum brakes are adjusted correctly.  Its just that a very small
>amount of brake fluid (and pressure) is getting to the rear brakes.  Lack of
>power = power booster / lack of fluid seams to me that the valve has sensed
>a drop in pressure and to keep the system running, it has diverted power to
>the front and virtually shut it off to the back.  It is also interesting
>that both rear brakes function (or do not rather) identically.  I believe
>that I have to reset the proportioning valve - whatever that means.  Anyone
>else want to shed some light?

Dave,

  If the brake light is on, then either the porportioning valve needs to be
centered, or the emergency brake switch has failed.  (I don't remember seeing
a swith on my ememgency brake.)

   Anyone with a functioning car?  If you ememgency brake is pulled up, does
the brake light on the dash come on?  I know it does on several of my other
cars.  But since I just put the emergency brake in #887, I don't remember
seeing a switch to sense that it is on.

  Anyway, back to your problem Dave.  I looked up the info on the
proportioning
valve in my AMC books.  The manual states:

Section 5 states:

   "In the event of a lead or other malfunction in either circuit, the
    piston is displaced by the loss of pressure and completes an electrical
    circuit to provide the driver with a visual warning by means of an
    indicator light."

Section 6 states:

   "This valve has three functions:  (a) pressure differential valve
    similar to that described in Section 5, (b) a pressure regulating
    valve to prevent the rear brakes from locking before the front ones
    and (c) a front brake pressure metering valve which allows rear brake
    circuit pressure to build up while reducing front brake circuit pressure
    until the rear brake shoe return spring tension has been overcome."

    "Whenever the piston in the pressure differential valve is displaced,
     it has to be recentered.  To do this, turn the ignition switch on and
     press the brake pedal a time or two."

This is a NON repairable item!

On my Spitfire, when the piston is displaced to center it, you turn on the
ignition as above, but you "carefully/slowly" bleed the side opposite the
last one done.  This will let the piston come back to center.  Have your
helper (that is pressing the brakes for you) very slowly press the brake
pedal, and watch the light on the dash.  When it goes out, he stops pressing
on the brake, (but doesn't release his pressure) and tells you so you can
shut off the bleeder.

Try either method and keep us informed.

John