887 needs help

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: 887 needs help
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:43:28 -0400
Hey gang,

  I've been out playing with 887 a little.  Got her running, but I've got
a couple of problems I can't find.  I'm looking for any ideas, suggestions,
etc.

Problem 1 Symptoms:
1. When cold she runs great - lots of stable vacuum.
2. When she warms up - develops a definate miss, run poorly, and vac. drops
   and isn't very stable.  The idle adjusting screws don't seem to do much,
   and are currently almost all the way out.
3. When warm, if you close the choke plate a little the rpms increase.  I'd
   think this means that it is tooo lean.
4. Exhaust burns and smells sharp - and rich.

What's been done:
1. Carb rebuilt several months prior to running eng.
2. Not running on gas tank, running from a 3 gal. gas can into the fuel line
   at back of car - where connects to gas tank.
3. New distributor - it moves freely - adjust to best rpm & vac.
4. Disconnected ALL vac. lines from tree at back of eng. except the large
   one for the brake booster.  I've looped back vac. lines on each of the
   outputs from the vac. tree.  So I 2 pieces of vac. hose looped back on
   4 of the ports, 1 of the ports goes to the vac guage, and the last port
   goes to the EGR valve.  There are 2 ports off of the carb,  one on the
   front that goes to one of the thermo switches.  I need to check and see
   if I plugged that.  I thought I had, but don't remember now.  The other
   large port on the back of the carb. connects to the heat raiser tube from
   the intake manifold.
5. I've checked the firing order several times.

Problem 2 symptons:
1. When I put it in gear, idling at <1500 rpms, it really lurches into gear.

What's been done or hasn't been done:
1. I don't have the modulator valve connected to any of the vac. lines from
   the engine.

Any thoughts?  Next time I play, I'll check TDC and the static timing.
However, until I get the eng. idling smoothly, I don't think putting a
timming light on it will do much good.

TIA

John

   1