? horn button assy

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: ? horn button assy
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:36:31 -0400
Hey gang, I probably should have sent this email a month or so ago.  I had
the steering wheel hub on my steering col, but NOT locked down.  I grabbed
the wheel and it rotated and broke the plastic shaft off the horn piece
that sticks through the steering wheel's hub (part 9.040 in the parts manual).
This is actually called the turn signal cancelling cam.

My buddy (Jim - now in England) said it was similar to the one for the Olds.
So I went out to the Olds dealer and got the cam, spring, and little rod.

I've just spent the last 3 hrs trying to get the damn horn to work.

It does if I ground the pin that protrudes through the hub.

There is a wire that hooks to the horn button, which is soldered to a brass
ring with a rubber (insulator) on it.  This pushes down to a lip in the hub.
The pin from the cancelling cam is supposed to touch this brass ring to
transfer the power to the horn button.

>From what I've been able to figure out, the ring & rubber go with the rubber
facing the driver so the wide part of the ring can contact the button.
The wire apparently broke on my ring and someone tried to solder it.  In
doing so, they managed to pull the rubber out of the ring, and now I can't
keep the rubber in the ring when I try and push it down to the sholder in
the hub.  So I can't get the pin to touch the ring.

So I gues my questions are:

1. Anybody have their steering wheel hub off their steering column?  If so
   can you measure the distance from the top of the pin to the locking plate.
   Mine measures 3/4".  I think it is too short.  If all else fails, I may
   be able to make a new (longer) pin from a #8 flat headed screw.

2. Anybody replaced their cancelling cam?  If so, what did you use?

3. Anybody replaced the brass & rubber ring with the horn wire?  If so,
   what did you use and where did you get it from.

TIA