Re: AOD conversion

To: Peter Hermann <hermann@muenster.de>
Subject: Re: AOD conversion
From: Jim & Ginny <jim-ginny@home.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:50:24 -0500
Yor AOD will bolt in, the AOD is different to the FMX in the way the
linkage is attached to the carb, kick-down v TV cable. There are
companies that can assist here. Ideally the earlier, late 70's trannies,
offer easier installation. If the donor was EFI or not effects this.
The Versaille/Granada rear disc set up is often frowned upon now days
and lately it is not the recommended approach to adding rear discs. The
model years that fit are the mid-late 70's cars. They employ rear leafs,
not coils.
Some of the complaints are cost, the calipers are very expensive and
other hard & soft parts are getting hard to find. Make sure you get all
the parts from the donor car. The e-brake hook-up can be challenging as
well. The Versaille also uses fixed calipers v floating. The fixed
calipers have caused rotors to crack.
Another alternative is dropping in a Ford 9" and adding an aftermarket
disc kit. Currie Enterprises can provide a turn key rear end for about
the same cost.
I am not aware of any posi units in the Versaille rear end as standard.
The ratios you will find are pretty high as well 2.7-3.0, the original B
ratio is 3.15:1. If your rear end still has the tag attached to the
pumpkin I can help you with figuring out what it has.
I read that a 4 speed B had a 3.54:1 ratio. can any one confirm this?
LOL
Jim