Re: Ice in air door system

To: sbunin@provide.net, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ice in air door system
From: "Alan Coleman" <colemaal@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:22:14
Seth,

The recommendation from the manufacturer was not to use anti freeze all year
round, just in the winter!

I have used anti freeze in the lubricator, just in the 3 months of winter
that we get here in MD. In March I dump it, then switch back to light oil. I
have been doing this since I first put the air system on (75 or 76) and
discovered that the moisture would freeze in the system stopping the
operation of the doors. I haven't had any problems and I have never had to
rebuild, tear apart,  or replace anything on the system (except when I went
to an electric compressor in 78)!!!!!

I doubt that 3 months per year of exposure to anti freeze followed by oil in
the system would be enough to cause harm. In addition to being inconvenient
and very embarrassing, having a door system that does not function properly
in winter can result in damage- like a broken window - which is a bit more
expensive and inconvenient than a solenoid operated valve.

Alan Coleman
#246 original owner