Re: new owner posting

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new owner posting
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 21:54:18 -0500
At 01:14 PM 2/6/01 -0500, you wrote:

>> >The horn doesnt work, I think it may be the switch in the steering
>>wheel,

Kim,

   Here is a copy of an email I sent Mike D. ("dmcturbo turbo"
<turbodmc@hotmail.com>) on this subject earlier this week.

>On the realy connector plug I have +12Vdc and ground on the other side
>If the relay needs to see a ground from the horn to complete the crkt, that
>seems to be what I don't have indicating to me it is the horn switch/wiring.
>How do I trouble shoot the horn switch and wiring?

A. There should be 3 connectors:

1 - should have 12 volts - that's the main power input.  Should be a large
    diameter wire (with respect to the others).  It should also feel a little
    floopy, able to wiggle it easily (but not necessarily).
2 - should have a ground (dark green wire) - that should be the wire going
    to the horns.  If you pull the wire that connects to the horns, and the
    ground goes away all is well.
3 - Should have 12 V (a Black wire).  Take a aligator clip lead.  Connect 1
    end to a good ground.  That the other end, and quickly touch it to this
    odd terminal.  The horns should sound.  Don't hold it on the connector
    very long, just incase you have the wrong wire or something.  You don't
    want to burn up the wiring harness.

B.  Then you need to disconnect the black wire from the horn relay.  Connect
    an one end of an Ohm meter to this wire, the other end to a good ground.
    Press the horn - does the meter go to 0 ohms? If yes, then horn button
    is working.

If not chances are that there is a bad connectoin in the steering column.
This is a bit tricky.  Let me know if you need the info for this.

If the horn button works (B above) and no horns, you either have a bad horn
relay, bad horns, or a bad ground at the horns.  However, you said there was
a ground on one of the horn wires.  So that should rule out the bad ground.

To test the horn(s), clip on end of and aligator clip to the ear on the horn
that the green wire goes to.  Touch the other end to 12V.  The main source
for 12V is the starter relay on the back side of the pass. front fender well.
Be very careful here as there is a lot of grounds available and you can
short out your wire to any of the metal there.  I'd carefully connect one end
of an aligator clip to the back side (main 12v feed) of the starter solenoid.
Hold the other end in your hand.  Now get a helper to get the wire that you
have hooked to the horn.  Now touch the 2 wires together for a second.  Did
the horns sound.  If not you have bad horns.

Hope this helps.