Re: air system to electric...

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air system to electric...
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 20:15:04 -0400
At 01:57 PM 4/5/01 -0400, High Tech Coatings wrote:

>Didn't some of the early bricks come with electric screw drive doors? I
>heard they didn't work well and had to be changed to the 'better' hydraulic
>system, then to air. A change to electric screw could be two steps back, but
>if these are quality units and operate fast enough it could be feasible but
>for $450 each they seem a bit dear. with a little searching they might be
>found a little cheaper in the industrial field.

In a discussion with Terry, he said that there was an effort at the factory
to come up with a replacement for the Hydrolic doors.  He had proposed
pneumatic and someone else had proposed electric.  There were going to use a
long lead screw with some type of collar that attached to the door.  Similar
to what is used in the electric lift chairs.  Terry was dead set against that
and fought very hard to get the to go to air.  However, the lead screw was
supposed to cost about $10 less, so the management wanted to go with the
electric.  I don't know that any actually made it into the production run.