Re: sandblasting

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sandblasting
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 06:51:08 -0400
At 08:03 PM 5/3/01 -0400, Serge wrote:

>I need information on sandblasting ? I never did this and my goal is to
>do fender well and the frame...Will go and rent one please tell me what
>would I need to do this step...What pressure should the compressor be
>and what grid of sand would I need and how much I need...and what size
>of tip I need for sandblaster...Thank in advance..Serge

Serge,

   I have to agree with Rick.  I sent my chassis out to be blasted.  It cost
me about $125 and I had to rent a truck for the day to transport it.

   I have a 5 hp, 30gal (oil lubericated) compressor and both a blasting
cabinet (which the chassis won't fit in) and a pressure blaster.  But blasting
takes time.  I do a lot of blasting of everything else but for something
as big as a chassis it's easier and cheaper to have it done by someone
that does it for a living.

   I do all my work at my house.  So when I use my pressure blaster I string
a piece of rope diagonally across the corner fence in my backyard and clothes
pin a large plastic tarp to it.  Depending on the part I'm going to blast
I then lay a piece of plywood or cardboard on the bottom of the tarp, so
I don't poke holes in it with the parts.  This allows me to recover about
85% of the sand that I blast.  Most shops don't bother with this.  But I
really don't need a beach like yard - covered with sand, and I'm cheap.

Hope this helps.

John

  You have to keep in mind