Re: Transmissions Q's for the non technical....

To: "Robert Miller" <bobworld@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Transmissions Q's for the non technical....
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:45:40 -0400
At 04:10 PM 6/12/01 -0500, Robert Miller wrote:

>    I haven't been reading the list for a while and Y'all have probably
>discussed this.....

Welcome back Bob!!!

>   I have to have the crank bearings redone and thought I would put a better
>tranny in it while there.  I want him to put in a 4 or 5 speed overdrive
>automatic transmission while he has the engine out and want to know what you
>guys have had success with..(and things to watch out for)
>
>.He is concerned about hooking/matching up the shifter and Kick down
>connector...

I haven't done it, but I know it's been done.  The AOD from the 5L Mustangs
will fit nicely.  You will have to make a new kick down rod, and I can't
address the shift linkage.

I've been trying to get someone that has done it to write and article about
the project.  A step by step with pictures.

>The oilpan had cracked (repaired twice before by previous owner). It got
>smacked again (funny, do you think it might be related to having a 19 yr.
>old stepson at home and I travel often???hmmm?) My mech says a Ford Truck
>oilpan will fit and be sturdier. True?..also he wants to weld a skid plate
>to the cross bar to reduce the chance it will happen again...need answers
>soon as the Porsche has no AC!! and it's getting real hot down south here.

The oil pan is from an Econoline truck - check the parts xref. list.  I got
my pan from a junkyard.  The skid plate wouldn't be a bad idea.  Again, if he
does this, how about taking pictures and notes and writting an article?