Re: rivets

To: Serge Berube <serge.ber@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: rivets
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:55:59 -0400
At 09:20 AM 6/29/01 -0400, Serge Berube wrote:

>Im about to start to rivet's my bricklin together would anyone know what
>size I need for complete car and how many I would need ...pillars,
>quarters, roof, lower, valance, rear panel......

Serge,

   I they are:
        3/16" x 3/4" Large head Pop Rivits
        3/16" x 1/2 - 3/4" reg head pop rivits

I think I used 2 boxes of the each with some left over.

>And Mr. John T Blair would like to know why ??? you did the roof panel
before
>the pillars is it the way it should be done...???

Do the roof fist, then the door, followed by the rear quarter panels.
Leaving the A pillars to last.  You will align the doors to the center of
the door opening.  Now you can try and adjust the rear quarter panels to
get the best line along the back of the doors.  The front fenders can now
be mounted and adjusted to get the best lines to the front of the door.

Finally you mount the A pillars and have a little fudge room with them to
make up and differences.  If you are replacing the roof and A pillars with
the fiberglass ones, when you mount the A pillars, you need to set the A
pillars on, and mark where dips in the A pillar touches the roof panel.
Then mark another line inboard from that one about 1/8" and then cut the
roof panel back so the A pillar fits.

I spent a day at Terry's shop about a month ago, trying to learn more about
fitting the doors and body.  It will be a while before I get a chance to
write the articles about doing the work as I go.  Unfortuneatley this won't
help you, as you will probably be done with your car buy the time I get the
articles written.

>Im sure it was your car I saw in the back of the Brickline ...Thank you all
>for your help.

Yes that was my car.  Those pictures were taken last summer just before my
neighbor and best friend (Jim Chermack - who I mention in the mag. quite
a bit) was transfered to England.  Progress has been slow on the B. lately.
I spent from last Sept and Oct pulling down the eng. in my van due to a
very anoying oil leak.  Then had problems again in March of 2001.  Check
out the story at:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/3liter-timing-belts.html

For some reason they put the procedure before the story, so scroll about
1/3 way down and you'll see a  new title.  That's the story.

You're welcome.  Any time I can help feel free to email or call.