Re: White Brick on E-Bay's Hood "scoop"

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: White Brick on E-Bay's Hood "scoop"
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:46:17 -0500
George,

  I can't help with the 1st problem, but:

>Also, I have pulled the gas tank which appears to be in good condition.  How

>do you remove the gas gauge sender unit?  There is some undercoating on the

>external part and I cannot see all the features.  It looks like to rotates

>within its housing and then comes out.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Yes, there is a large round locking ring that has a "bayonet"
fitting.  Using a block of wood or a brass drift, carefully
tap on the ears of the locking ring to force it around in a
counterclockwise direction.  It will go about 1/3 of the way
around.  At that point, it is free and can be lifted out.
Then the sending unit simply pulls streight out.  There is
an aligning tit on the sending unit so it WILL NOT rotate.

>PS Any ideas on how to safely dispose of about 10 gallons of old gas?

Your best bet is to burn it.  I'd try mixine a little of it
(better than 10:1) with your regular gas in your car, or
lawnmower.  If you have an oil heater you can probably mix
it with the oil also.  It will take a while to use it though.