Overheating/leak?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating/leak?
From: "Brian Cochran" <bricklin2264@usa.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:34:43 -0500
Today was a pretty good day for me.  It was warm out, sunny and overall nice.
Perfect day to work on the Brick.  After reinstalling the gas tank (had it
cleaned out last fall), installing new gas line, and buying a new battery, I
had 2264 running for about 30 minutes (first time running since I've owned it).
 It started right up, and it sounds awesome.  However, after about 10 minutes
the temp gauge reached about 220, and I noticed a river of antifreeze pouring
down the driveway. When I shut it off, it was boiling and pouring steam.  My
dad's mechanic friend suggested we remove the thermostat and try it without.
So after it cooled down, we refilled the radiator, and started it again without
thermostat.  This time it didn't start pouring antifreeze and it wasn't
boiling, but after about 20 minutes the temp reached about 260 and it started
dripping.  The fluid wasn't hot at all (actually almost cold), and it seems to
be coming out of the overflow or the line going into the o!
verflow, I can't tell.  Are these problems related, or could these be two
separate problems?  How hot does a Bricklin usually get when just idling?  I
really don't think it is supposed to get that hot.  Could there be a problem
with my radiator, or something more serious?  It has been at least 7 years
since the car was last run.  If anyone has any suggestions on this or anything
else I may want to check while I'm working on this problem, your help is
greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

--

Brian
Bricklin 2264 & 2151