Re: Question III

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question III
From: "J F" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:03:51 +0000
>At 05:06 PM 2/16/02 +0000, Les Huckins wrote:
> >Need just a little more info, trying to cram a semester into a couple of
> >weeks.  Is it preferential to get a car that has been painted or live
> >with one that has original acrylics?  Is there any reason other than
> >personal preference to get a '74 manual shift vs a '75 automatic.  AMC
> >vs Ford.  Opinions are fine, you don't have to be an expert of any sort.
>
>Les,

As in most collecting get the rarest, best one that you can.  They are more
likely to keep their value.  That applies to cars until you get to real
expensive ones where options are not that important.  I had a white 75
bricklin and then my orange 4 speed came up for sale. Both needed typical
work, windows didn't work, shocks, exhaust, carpet, doors, etc. At the time
the 4 speed cost 4500 and I had just paid 3500 for the white one.  I didn't
hesitate a minute to get the 4 speed and spend my time and energy on it
instead of the ford engined car.  Bricks have no real options other than
color and tranny and I felt it important to get the tranny.  I think it adds
maybe 10-20% to the value of the car as there are very few around -- I have
only seen one other original and that did not have the original console.
But compare that to my rarer hemi charger.  It's a more expensive car and
the fact that it is an auto on the column adds to its mystique and hardly
has any effect on value.  But that car gains its value not from being a
charger but from being a hemi -- that is what matters. Bricklins gain value
by being a Bricklin with an option like the 4 speed adding to it.  Now I am
confused. Kim