Re: switch

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: switch
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 19:12:17 -0500
At 06:11 PM 3/1/02 -0500, serge wrote:

>http://www.julianos.com/plastic_power_window_switch_plates.html     Hey
>Guys do you think these switch will work with door of our
>Bricklin...Looks better I dont have car here just wondering how many
>plugs on old switch..

Serge,

   As Kim points out you need a Double Pole Double Throw with center off
switch.  The bezels (or plates as they call them) may work, but they don't
say much about the switch.

   Our switches both inside and out have 2 columns of contacts with 3 contacts
in each column.  The picture looks like it is only 1 column or row of contacts
and I only count 5 contacts vise our 6.

   We need the 2 sets of contacts - 1 set fires the air solenoids the other
fires the solenoid in the doors.  This doesn't mean they can't be used.
But you will have to find out how these (new) switches work internally.
With 5 contacts my guess is that the center contact is power and that you
have 2 connections on each side, which would work.  Also you could even to
to a Single Pole Double Throw (center off) if you tie the up solenoid and
the door solenoids together.

  I believe that we have 1 unused contact on the down side of the switches
as they don't have to "open/unlock" the door solenoid when the door is
closing.  If you have Terry's air unlatch-solenoid you don't need that
wire on the up side of the switch either.

  Bottom line is, yes they will probably work.  You may have to do some
fooling around with an ohm meter and the wiring to get them to work.

  Another switch that is more of the equivilant of what we currently have
is the Standard DS-512 switch.  It basically looks like what we have with
out any arrows on it.  I'm currently using 2 of them for my "inside" switches.
I may use 2 of them as my outside switches also.  But I'll have to modify
the mounting some how.  And then there is no indication of which way the
door will go.  Our outside switches have the arrows on the bezels.  But the
DS-512 come with their own bezels.

  Finally while both the switches you have found, and the DS-512 are about
the same price $10-$12, this is 1/2 of what Terry and Bob want for the
correct switches.  If you only have to replace 1 switch at a time, I'd
probably go with the origs. or if you are a real origonality freek.  If
you have to replace all 4 at once and don't mind playing, this could save
you about $50.