Bricklin radiator/electric fans

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Bricklin radiator/electric fans
From: LuxuryTS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:56:30 EDT
I finally got my radiator back with a brand new three row (14 fins per inch)
core installed.  The shop said I could have gone with more fins per inch but
with the electric fan set up I wanted,   14 per inch would be best.  I was
able to attach the puller fan to the radiator (engine side) yesterday (I did
this while the radiator is out of the car for convenience) and hope to get
the pusher fan attached to the AC condenser  in front of the radiator today.
Keep in mind that the mechanical fan and the original plastic shroud are
gone.

By the way, I'm using two 16inch Perma-Cool 2100 CFM fans.

I bought some 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch   100%  rubber weather stripping to rest
the electric fan shroud on.  This keeps the electric fan from rubbing on the
core and also makes a great seal around the shroud ( better air flow).  I
used two 1 inch # 8 self tapping screws to attach the left side of the fan to
the radiator bracket.  I then used the zip ties that came with the electric
fan to attach the two right side points to the core (remembering to put a
piece of the rubber weather stripping under each of the attach points and on
the back side as well).

I know folks say not to attach the fans through the core for fear of rubbing
but I believe it is all in the way it is done.  By attaching the left side to
the radiator bracket directly you greatly reduce the ability for the fan to
move around (vibrate/rub) and these two attach points are doing about 80% of
the work.  The right side will not be allowed to move around as the left side
is anchored in metal.  I used this method on a 4x4 of mine,  four years ago
(dual electric fans) and have experienced zero leaks (that's with bouncing
around off road as well)
Anyway I plan to attach the front pusher fan the same way.

As for the wiring,  it is actually not that bad.  I ran one 10 ga wire off
the fuse block (direct power) to a $3,  30 amp, four terminal, relay (mounted
under the hood for easy access) from Radio Shack, cat. # 275-226. Out the
other side of the relay with 10 ga wire to both fans (Y off).  Both fans are
grounded with 10 ga wire to include a 10 ga 30 amp fuse (each fan has it's
own fuse so if one blows the other is still going).  Perma-Cools automatic
thermal switch #19003, is attached to the upper radiator hose (no holes in
the hose) and then attaches to the last two terminals on the relay.  This
switch is set to come on around 170 degrees.

If the relay ever fails, you just disconnect the power and fan wires from it,
then tape them together (60 seconds).  This allows the fans to run constant
until you get some where to by a new $3 relay. At this price I will just keep
a spare.

Stay tune to see if it all works and if so how well.  I plan to take a 140
mile trip to Phoenix when it is finished.  A 105 degree plus in stop and go
traffic will be a great test.

Greg
Flagstaff,  AZ