RE: Buffing Paint

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Buffing Paint
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:54:10 -0400
Scott,

A couple years ago I did some research on this subject and ended up buying a
variable speed polisher with *electronic* speed control.  The trigger is
simply on-off with a trigger lock.  A dial allows you to select the maximum
rpm.  The *electronic* speed control is used to keep the speed of the
polishing bonnet constant, regardless of load.  I bought a Makita from
Harbor Freight.  Here's a link
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37642

This polisher is not random orbital and uses a wool pad.  I would never use
a high speed buffer on automobile paint because it will eat up too much
paint.  Remember, polish is an abrasive-mild, yes-but still an abrasive.
Polish is to remove the surface layer of oxidation and dirt.  Most polishes
also have an ingredient to protect.  If you just want to protect, use a good
paste wax and apply by hand in the shade.

Stephen I. Early
Portfolio Conversions
MBNA America
302.457.4788