Re: charging system problem

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: charging system problem
From: "Rick" <Htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:50:03 -0400
Actually the voltage should be someplace around 14.5 volts. Older
alternators sometimes don't kick out much charge below 2000 rpm. try revving
the engine slightly and checking the voltage. If there is no change and the
people that checked the system were knowledgeable (not some kid that don't
know A from B)  start checking your connections and cables, any greenness
inside the cable wire means it is a candidate for replacement. you should
pay particular attention to the wiring to the voltage regulator, the starter
solenoid and the amp gauge in the dash. Also make sure the regulator has a
good ground. If you used a cheap import regulator I've found that they are
more often not good than good. I was had to go through a box of 24 just to
fin 2 good ones, these were brand new newer opened! To isolate the regulator
remove the plug on the regulator and jumper pins A & F. start the engine and
rev to 2000 rpm, if voltage increases alternator is OK and the problem is
either the regulator or the wiring.
Hope this helps
BTW .... DO NOT  run a car without the battery hooked up, this can instantly
fry all your electronics. It will destroy the alternator on new
higheffecency alts as well as most  computers.
Rick