Re: Engine swap

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine swap
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 05:12:47 -0500
Yes I can see dropping a chev engine to replace the AMC which has some parts
issues, such as oil pump and distributor gears. BUT this is a 75, you can
easily and cheaply do a small block ford to over 500 hp that is streetable.
you can start with a 408 street shortblock form Ohio crank (
www.ohiocrank.com )for under 1700, then add a set of victor jr or afr 185
heads for another 15-1700. now you make a decision on whether you want fuel
injection or carb, pick a cam to go either way and an induction system to
match. if you want injection the easiest and cheapest way is to swap a 89-94
5 liter mustang computer and harness. you can go with a FAST or accel system
but they will cost a bit more. if you go to the forums at www.corral.net and
go to the 5.0/ 5.8 engine tech forum and do some reading you will see you
can easily and cheaply build a 500 hp 351 based motor that has good street
manners. for a trans if you want to stay automatic you can switch over to a
c4 for a 3 speed or and aod for 4. If you want an OD trans to hold the
torque and power check out the 4r70w trans and controller at
www.baumannengineering.com .
If you want a stick you can go to a race prepped T5 or a viper spec T56 six
speed trans, check out www.ddperformance.com or check out the article at
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/138_0309_viper_mustang_trans/
Once you have read and ingested all that, remember the 408 is a drop in
replacement, all you have to do is make sure of is that the intake you
choose will clear the hood.
Rick