Clock

To: "bricklin@autox.team.net" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clock
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins@cybersurfers.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:13:38 -0800
Scott, my score is 2 out of 3 Bricklin radios.  Most old car clocks did
not get much in the way of service, when they went dry enough the
mechanism stopped.  This is a big plus when you try to get one running
again...if it had kept on running it would have worn some of the
critical pivot holes egg shaped and then there is no fix unless you have
it jeweled.

My secret weapon is always WD-40.  I pull the clock out, no problem
there, then I unsolder the one wire and  hook it up on the bench to a
12V source.  First thing is saturate everything with the WD-40, let it
set over night, then see if it will go the next day.  Usually you have
to take your finger and put a slight spin on the balance wheel, it will
generally run a little while and stop.  Don't give up, keep at it until
it takes off on it's own.  It's normal to stop a few times before it
gets serious and keeps running.

Next step, take some machine oil of your choice and oil all of the pivot
points, top and bottom.

Let the clock run a few days on the bench, adjusting the time set until
you get it pretty close to right over a 24 hour period.

The one  I didn't get running had a bad solenoid, the mechanism was
happy but the winder wasn't.

Expect to re-oil it about every 2 years of use if you want to keep it
happy!  It is really a unique screwball clock.  That ancient clock
mechanism trying to be a digital is a kick!

Hope this helps.

Les