Re: leaking door cylinders

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: leaking door cylinders
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:37:03 -0400
They are usually non repairable, You may want to try to put some light
hydraulic oil in the top of the cylinder, sometimes that will soften the
seals and help them seal. Be careful when you open the door the first couple
of times after you do it as there may be oil spraying from the top of the
cylinder.
If you need to replace them you can use  Bimba brand part #1712DP
cylinders, they should be available from a good local industrial supply
house, They are 1.5" bore and 12" stroke with a pivot bottom. You will need
to buy a clevis for the top of the rod. part # d-231-1 and a lock nut for
it. To use these cylinders you must first drive the pivot pin out with a
hammer and punch (not very hard) so you can reuse your original bolt. You
also have to cut one leg of the clevis off so it will fit on the original
bracket, If you need a couple of pictures I can send you some.