RE: Noisy Starting

To: David Dal Bianco <david_dalbianco@yahoo.ca>, Bricklin Club
Subject: RE: Noisy Starting
From: "Early, Stephen" <stephen.early@fiacardservices.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 08:15:01 -0400
Most likely it is one of three things: worn starter ring gear on the
flywheel worn starter gear or sticking bendix mechanism.

Pull the starter then examine the flywheel ring gear while rotating the
engine through a full revolution to inspect for damage and or wear.
Hopefully, you will find none.  Next inspect the gear on the starter for
damage and or wear.  If neither is worn, the bendix is probably
sticking.  That is the mechanism that pushes the starter gear into the
flywheel ring gear when you turn the key.  If the problem is the bendix
or the starter gear, I'd just have the whole starter rebuilt.

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
Bank of America Corporation
800.441.7048 x74788