Re: Proportioning valves?

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Proportioning valves?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:50:10 -0500
At 02:23 PM 11/15/2007 -0600, Den wrote:

>The proportioning valve does exactly what you state. Since about 75% of
the braking is done by the front brakes the proportioning valve sends the
right amount of pressure to the front and rear..  The reason for a dual
reservoir is for safety more than anything else. If you lose either front
or rear brakes, then the other will work. If you lose a line on a single
reservoir system you have to rely on the emergency brake and we all know
how well those work.

>The master cylinder will produce equal pressure in both reservoirs when
the brake pedal is depressed so it has to be done a little further down
stream in the proportioning valve.

Dennis,

OK, that's what I figured.  But, I'm not sure I still understand.

If you have a dual system, with it split front and rear, then that
makes more sense.  But don't some of the system split front right
and left rear, and visa versa?  Then do you need 2 proportioning
valves, or does the one do both?

Also, how do they work?  I don't see any moving parts in them.  Is
it based on the orifice sizes?

If so, I don't understand how it would go bad, like in the Dodge truck.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229