Re: [Bricklin] AMC Rod Bearings

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] AMC Rod Bearings
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:50:58 -0400
At 11:13 PM 4/25/2009, Greg Schroeder wrote:

 >OK, getting to the frustration point with this.  I did one other
rebuild last year
 >and did not have this much trouble with the pistons.  The hardest part was
 >trying to remove an over torqued balancer.

Greg,

I don't think it makes an difference which pistons you install when.

However, the last time I had a problem similar to what you describe, was when
I rebuilt my Volvo P1800 B18 engine.  What I learned from that, is every time
in install a piece, main bearing cap, piston and connecting rod, cam, etc.
you should rotate the engine.  That way, when it doesn't rotate, you'll know
it was the last item you installed.

Did you take the crank to a machine shop and have it checked, and get the
size of the main and connecting journals?  Did they have to turn the crank?

Also, it's possible that you got a bad con-rod bearing and it is pinching the
crank journal?

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229