Re: Rover V8 Auto Gearbox options

To: "Jan Ben" <ben@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Rover V8 Auto Gearbox options
From: Peter Kent <pkent@skynet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 98 10:08:15 -0000
Peter,
I was aware of the early RR's using the Mopar 727 Torqueflight, but I
didn't
know about the Ford C4!
What years/models RR?    Was that a factory swap, like the 727?
And what about the GM 180?
rgds
Jan

The C4 was an aftermarket conversion in Australia, though it may have
been used in other countries as well. It involved a new bellhousing and
output shaft.

The GM180 was used in the later years of the SD1 production. It was
called the 'trimatic' in Australia.  It has a seperate bellhousing and
transmission design and is a very efficient and light gearbox. Later, it
was also called the Traumatic or the Troublematic as a number of
components were subject to failure when heavily stressed in performance
applications.The good news is that is has recently been rediscovered by
Australian drag racers, and is now being rebuilt to handle up to 450
horsepower (and sometimes called the Racematic).