turbocharging

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: turbocharging
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:22:24 +1200
Here is an interesting question for anyone. I've read that one of the
original Olsmobile versions of this engine was turbocharged
asymmetrically, that is the turbocharger was driven off one side of the
engine only. The other bank of cylinders exited into the exhaust system
normally.

I also read that one of the new Saab V6 engines uses this same approach.
What are the pros and cons of an asymmetrically turbocharged V engine?
It seem like it would be simpler to fabricate, with the turbo being
driven of the passenger side of the engine (where there is more space).
Are there issues with maximum boost or throttle response?

I'd be looking to use a turbo if the throttle response was good, and if
power and torque could be increased at low speeds (below 4500rpm). The
simplicity of the asymmetric approach appeals, but I haven't been able
to find out what the downside is. Does anyone know (Garth perhaps?)

> .-->

Simon Sparrow

Enterprise Network Architect
WANG NZ Ltd