Re: 215 in porsche...

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 215 in porsche...
From: DickShaler@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:32:01 EDT
The 215 with offset alternator/generator and the Rover engines fit just fine
in the 914 engine bay.  Many Chevy conversions have been made with the same
alterations to the front of the engine.  The new (1995 and later) blocks are
3" shorter than the 215 and have room to spare with the water pump in stock
position.  It looks like the alternator would have to be lowered and offset
because the Rover unit sits quite high and will hit the rear sloping firewall.
The major problems are not due to space restrictions but all the other things
:  radiator, plumbing, exhaust, motor mounts, tranny mounts, gearing, chassis
reinforcement, smog laws and a few other things that escape me at the moment.
However the 215/Rover weighs 320# vs the 911 at  400# plus and the Chevy
approaching 500#.  Balance is OK but lightness wins unless you want to go full
bore with a late transmission and all the other things that high weight and
high HP require. If anyone out there has done this please get in touch, I'd
like to explore this option.
Just my .02

  Dick Shaler