Re: Transmission + rip off!

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Transmission + rip off!
From: Greg Gall <greg.gall@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 02:10:14 -0700
Hi Guys,

I hate to seem dense, but as a stranger to all cars American, could you
clarify something for me?

>My question is how do I know if it was a 4 speed or 3 speed
>bellhousing. And will it work with the B&W T-5 or T-50.

When refering to the original Buick bellhousing, "4 speed or 3 speed"
refers to standard transmissions, right?

Also, the B&W T-5 and T-50 are five speed standard tranies?

I am looking for a nifty light-weight, durable, and efficient automatic
trany to mount up to the Rover V8 engine in my TR7-V8. I am hoping to find
a 4-speed, as the gearing is rather low in the TR7 rear end...

My current TR7-V8 has a TH-350 3 speed automatic trany - not a graceful fit
into the TR7 trany tunnel! This is mated to the Buick 350 which is also too
heavy and hot (as in temp!) for a TR7. My new project TR7-V8 will be to
take an automatic TR7 convertible and convert it to an automatic TR7-V8. I
currently have a parts Rover SD1 car (with auto B&W 65/66) that I can use
as a donor.

In terms of being ripped off - I certainly was with this parts car! I was
told that the engine was in decent running condition, but it would require
a rebuild (due to some buring of oil). I took the guys word for it as he
owns a local Brit-car repair shop. When I got the car home, I found that
the fuel tank had totally rusted out - probably several years earlier. I
pulled the engine oil dipstick to find a creamy - oil/water mix! Also, any
attempt to fill the coolant found it very quicky seaping its way into the
sump! I am certain that this car has not run for years... and certainly it
didn't run when the shop got it (maybe a month earlier). I can't believe
that I didn't even pull the dipstick before I bought it...

Greg.
---
'76 TR7-V8 (Buick 350)
'77 TR7 4 speed A/C
'79 (March) TR7 DHC Auto
'80 (Dec '79) TR7 DHC 5spd
'80 Rover 3500 EFI, 5 spd, A/C
'80 Rover 3500 parts car !RIP!
'91 Eagle Talon

Gregory Robert Gall, ENT, BSc.   e-mail: greg.gall@iname.com
IT/Hardware Consultant, Calgary, Alberta, CANADA.