RE: Camshafts/timing gear wear test.

Subject: RE: Camshafts/timing gear wear test.
From: Shadow@RTD.COM (The Shadow Knows...)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 22:47:01 -0700 (MST)
Simon:

 There is a very easy way to determing wear, in crank degrees,
of a timing chain/assy.  It is assumed you have a timing degree
marker/tab/plate/etc that you can see (and clean first).  Do it
this way...

(1) Pull distributor cap off and remove spark plugs to
    bleed compression off as you...
(2) Turn engine BACKWARDS up to the indicated TDC mark
    on vib-dampener at the pointer.  Ie.. '0' deg. mark.
    You must turn BACKWARDS first to take up all slack
    in the cam drive chain/gears/dist/etc... as the wear
    is in the FORWARD direction only.  Then...
(3) Turn engine FORWARDS until the rotor on dist. just
    starts to move.  Stop and then...
(4) Look at the timing mark(s) and it will tell you how
    many degrees the crank is running ahead of the cam
    due to the wear/slack/etc.. in the whole valve train.
(5) Or, in other words, how many crank degrees the cam is
    late (or behind) the crank due to drive parts wear.
(6) I have seen 289/302 Fords and many SBC engines show
    wear in excess of the 8, 10, 12, degree marks on the
    timing tab.  If you don't have lots of degree marks
    to use as indicators, make youself some 'guestimate'
    marks to go by.

 Cheers
  Mr. Shadow (Ret)