More questions, would you believe

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: More questions, would you believe
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:19:07 -0700
4/21/99

Hello out there,

        I have been asking a lot of questions lately---hope it has not been
too boring---and have certainly received some good responses and have
learned a lot.  Thanks everyone.

        At any rate, after much research and trial and error, I think I
have finally come up with a good combination for what I want to accomplish.
In simple form it is Rover 3.9 block bored +.020"; stock crank; Buick 300
rods; 255 Ford v8 pistons (like Baker's 289 recipe, but +.040"); Buick 300
heads; Isky hydraulic cam; and 4-barrel carburetor.  My calculations show
this should produce about 8.85: 1 C.R. and 243 cubic inch displacement.
This would be a "hotrod" but not raced.  It would sdimply be a fun car.  By
the way it would be going into a 1962 Olds F-85 2-door Cutlass hardtop I
have, with just a stock Warner T-10 4-speed trans. that is already in the
car.  Would appreciate any critique on this "scheme" anybody is interested
in passing along to me.

        More importantly, my concern is about the Buick 300 rods.
Somewhere I have heard they are cast, not forged like the Rover/F-85/Buick
215, etc.  Does anybody know if this is true?  If so, does it mean they
might be the weak link in my proposal.  I have found the pistons mentioned
to be quite low-priced--that was quite a surprise---but don't know for sure
yet if my parts house can actually get them.

TIA

Cheers,

Dave K.