Re: CAM/INLET/CARB RECOMENDATIONS

To: jimbb88@erols.com
Subject: Re: CAM/INLET/CARB RECOMENDATIONS
From: Ian Crocker <ian@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:50:02 +0100 (BST)
> Cam selection is like picking a ....well, there seems to be no scientific way
> to choose among the 100's available. A good street cam for a mostly stock
> engine is a Crane #900531, at least I am happy with it. There are many, many
> others as good, maybe better. RPI engineering recommends a stock 3.9 Rover cam
> as very good in a 3.5. Others on the list will have some suggestions, I am
> sure.

I have the Crane 218 (#900571).  This works well with ported heads and
has a broad torque spread coming on cam at about 2500rpm.  I don't know
how Crane decide on the RPM range as detailed on their spec cards.  The
218 is supposed to be 2000-4500, but in my engine peak torque is at 4500
and peak ower at 6000.

Regards,

Ian
--
"Just pass the work I assign you along to somebody else and trust to luck.
We call that delegation of responsibility."  -- Joseph Heller

Ian Crocker    ian@btcase.bt.co.uk    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9190/