RE: Cleaning inside of pistons

To: "'Opstal, Lex van'" <agopstal@huygmetaal.nl>,
Subject: RE: Cleaning inside of pistons
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:02:30 -0800
Lex,
I use a material called "parts dip", it is a methylene chloride based
solvent that removes varnish and carbon deposits very well from aluminum
engine parts.  The material is sold by several manufacturers here in the US
(McKay, Berrymans).  The material is very aggressive on removing deposits,
you simply dip the part into the container, let it stand for an hour or so,
then rinse off the part with water or spirits/paraffin.

I don't know if the material is available in Europe, since it is
environmentally nasty.  In fact, the potency of the stuff currently
available is much less than that available 20 years ago, due to
environmental restrictions.

Hope this helps
Paul Kile
1974 Factory MGB-GT V-8