Re: Holden 3.8L V6 , Buick V6 & "Our" 215 V8.

To: "Buick-Rover-V8 Mail List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Holden 3.8L V6 , Buick V6 & "Our" 215 V8.
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:04:03 +1300
>From the alt.aus.car newsgroup i was informed the Holden V6 was a
developement by Holden using information on the Buick unit, indeed the
Buick
designers had a huge input in it's development with the Holden team. The
engines were later made in Australia & assembled there too. I was
excited
because of its relationship to Buick, since the assumption was that the
Holden front cover might be a bolt-on to the Rover V8 block & so a more
reliable oil pump etc. Anyways a trip to the library to look at the car
manuals quickly showed the Holden V6 to have an integral oil pump
arrangement driven off of the crank, the crank coming through it & the
harmonic balancer bolting on from the outside. The other thought is the
V6
is a 60-degree 'V' while the Rover V8 block is a 90 degree. I have never
seen any pictures of a Buick V6 so admit that i don't know what that
arrangement is. The Holden oil uptake & screen in the sump could be a
larger
diameter than the Rover so could be a candidate for modifications but
i'd need to get
my dirty hands on a bunch of bits to truly see what the go is. Maybe
someone
else in Aus can advise. Also does anyone know where i can see a pic of
the Buick 231 V6
cover perhaps on a site somewhere? Thanks. Pete Bronlund.