Re: HP ignition systems

To: MAFOX2U@aol.com
Subject: Re: HP ignition systems
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:53:56 -0500
The GM HEI dizzy will cause an interference problem with the intake manifold.
It can be fixed by removing materiel from the intake & using a tork head bolt
from a Buick V-6, but be careful, you are close to a water passage, & it is
eassy to cut through.

Not knowing your objective, it is hard to make a good recomendation. If you
just wish to eliminate the points, try the Pertronics conversion. It is all
inside the cap, looks stock. Mallory makes both a magnetic & optic dizzy, with
or without vacuum advance. These are much more accurate than either the stock
or HEI dizzy.

If you want a bigger spark, this is a seperate issue. Mallory, Crane, Holley,
MSD & others have "black boxes" to improve spark, & I have not heard any
negitives. I have used the Mallory & MSD systems with good results.

Jacob also makes a system which works very well, but is subject to failure. My
unit failed, was finally replaced under warranty, failed again, & Jacobs
wanted another $200.00 to replace it. Good system when it works, but I was
without a unit for over 3 months, & finally was out over $300.00 with no
working unit to show for it.  Not recommended.

Jim Stuart