Re: which T-10 tranny goes in my 62' Buick Special?

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: which T-10 tranny goes in my 62' Buick Special?
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:15:18 -0700
4/10/00

Jim & Jim,

        I can shed some light on this one, mostly from personal experience.
I bought a very early 61 Olds F-85 new in late 1960.  The choice at that
point was 3-speed column shift, or automatic, also column shift.  Mine was
the column 3-speed.  It was a Warner T-86 "medium-duty" trans. with no
synchronizer on 1st gear.  Ratios were 2.57:1 1st; 1.55:1 2nd; and 1:1
(direct) 3rd.  This was a completely typical "stick-shift" setup for the
time.  In my opinion it was not a very good transmission.  The Buick
Special was identical except the automatic was a small Dynaflow instead of
the unique Hydramatic on the F-85.

        I have a 1961 F-85 shop manual and it does not mention any manual
transmission except the 3-speed, though I do not if it is the latest issue.
It may very well be that the 4-speed was not offered until the '62 model
year, but I do not know for sure.

        I now own a '62 F-85 Cutlass with factory original "4 on the floor"
and the trans is a Warner T-10 cast iron case.  An old Peterson
Publications (Hot Rod Magazine, etc.) reference booklet I have shows 1962
as the first year.  The ratios were 2.54:1 1st; 1.92:1 2nd; 1.51:1 3rd; and
1:1 (direct) 4th.  First gear was synchronized as is usual in 4-speed
trannies.  This was the widest ratio gearset made at that time, there being
3 closer-ratio sets used in various Chevrolets, Corvettes, and Dodges.  The
shift linkage is not particularly strong or beefy but performs OK.
Apparently it was also available in '63 as you indicate below.  It seems
reasonable to assume the same would be true of the F-85.  Interestingly, to
make room for this transmission, a special tunnel piece was fabricated and
grafted on to the floorboard.  The "hump" for the automatic trans. is very
small by comparison.

Cheers,  David Kernberger