Starters or - it ran fine yesterday.

To: "V8 List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starters or - it ran fine yesterday.
From: "Corky" <corky@zaks.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:00:55 -0400
Hi all -

Here's a bit of information/update on my car and a question or two.

I had the opportunity to get my B out to Watkins Glen last week for about 2
hours or so. It was a scenario where the cars were not supposed to go all out,
but being mixed in a pack of Feraris, Porsches, BMWs both street and race
prepared, and the only rule being no passing, it was a chance to see what my
car would do.

This is the 3rd year I've had a chance to do this and it's a great way to see
how the changes I've done have affected the car. The first year, 1999, was as
my car was finished in the spring of 98. The was setup pretty much stock
except for being 40 over. I have the hugger exhaust manuals. Heat wise, it
wasn't a real hot day, but I had to becareful to keep moving or I started to
get into trouble. It also felt like just above 4,000 rpm was the top end for
the way it was setup.

The second year I had installed the dual exhaust. There wasn't any real
noticable performance differance - a big difference in sound and hence more
enjoyable. There was a difference in heat relief. I now normally run at 1/2
mark when moving a any day up to the high 80's. It will go a needle above in
the 90's while moving. When I stop at a light or traffic crawls, it will go
over to a needle from the right line and I watch it go back and forth a needle
or twos width. I think I'm seeing the thermostat hit fully open in conjunction
with the fan coming on. Not much change in the rpm top, about 4,000.

Just last week it felt like a different car, but there have been some major
changes: The carburator is gone and I've got a Holly TBI unit on it rated at
670CFM. Last fall when I put that on I immedietly noticed a power boost after
2500rpm. No real rpm top end change. Then a couple weeks ago I put in a
Pertronix module but hadn't had a chance to really test it. Big difference
this year, I was obviously getting point bounce (or float). It goes up and
over 4,000 without problem, very smoothly, hit 5,000 a couple times. The heat
wasn't a problem sort of. As far as the temp of the engine, the day warmed up
pretty good and by about the 10th time around the gauge as staying in the 3/4
zone while on the track, up to the high end when I pulled in and wasn't
moving, but no overheating at all. I did notice that if I went around and
didn't really stand on it throught the straights and grades the temp would
fall back pretty quickly to the center and sit there. Getting on it would give
about one lap and it was back to 3/4.

But, (there's almost always a but somewhere), once I realized that temp was
going to stay in line, I stayed on it for the rest of the time, which ment it
was pretty hot in there. I go out the next morning to do an errand and it was
fine, went to start it to come home and nothing. I got it home and did some
checking. I had the correct voltage from the battery, to the switch and back
down to the selenoid. But the selenoid wasn't kicking in. It was pulled today
and it was litterly cooked. I don't think it all happend at the track, but
that was the last straw.

Thats getting replaced, which brings me to my question (finally) - what
starters are you all using (mines a 63 Buick, lightened flywheel, 215 stock
starter except with the gm 'hot start' spring) ? Which high toruque will work
and what's the approximate cost ? and suppliers  you recommend ?

Also - without changing cranks or pistons, are there any mods that would
result in a noticable performance increase ?

Thanks,
Leon .....