Re: Edelbrock

To: "buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Edelbrock
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:42:18 -0400
William Parris wrote:

> Have to disagree here, obviously the Holley was not tuned well, if
> ya know what your doing with a Holley it is not a long messy job to
> adjust, the first one I did took me a while to get right but now I
> have no problem doing it right, and no I dont think the Holley
> produces less HP on any engine, like I said it is all about tuning,
> you don't see the pro street drag racers using Edlebrock's, usually
> they use Holleys, like the dominator's, or probably the Race Demon carb.
> Not sure what they are using right now these days.
>
> Will Parris
> 1980 TR7V8

It is more than just about tuning but in that regard, may I ask you how
long does it take you to re-jet a Holley 390? In doing so, (please
correct me where I am wrong), you have to remove the primary & secondary
float bowls (plus remove the gaskets and any remaining silicone) and
then sponge dry the fuel that spilled onto your intake manifold, your
paint job, your floor, your exhaust pipes and your pants. After
finishing with the primary, you need a special metering plate to replace
the standard unit's between the carb and secondary float chamber so it
will permit varying jet sizes to be used.

On the other hand, the Edelbrock/Weber can be re-jetted in minutes from
the top of the carb and it comes with an adjustable power valve so you
don't run around buying a load of different ones. The easier it is to
properly tune and jet a carb, the better.... I do not subscribe to the
theory that the more tedious it is to adjust a modern carburettor
perfectly, the more it says about the chap who can do so. It my
book it says something is sadly lacking in the carb's design especially
after you experience the easy setup on another.

As well, as you know, the Holly is vacuum only/secondary activation, so
gobs of gas are wasted in many high load situations, where the engine
vacuum will activate the secondaries, even though they are not required.
In the case of the Weber on the other hand, the secondaries are both
vacuum AND mechanically operated so if you are not at full throttle, you
won't be wasting fuel or power. Because of this, torque improvements of
the Weber over the Holley on a partial throttle are absolutely solid (as
are the obvious benefits to fuel mileage).

Another characteristic of the Holley is that the placement of the float
bowls in back and front of the carb leads to fuel starvation/flooding in
tight cornering or when the car is steeply angled. The Weber positions
the bowls on each side of the carb and pretty much eliminates these
problems.

You seem to be US oriented and the US is great in the field of
after-market auto goodies. Holly also produces some very fine
products....it simply is not great in this Weber comparison as the UK
experience has shown for a decade. I do think you may be right that the
Holley suits if you were using it only for flat-out drag racing
situations, though if that were the case why wouldn't you buy a
quad-Delorto or quad-Weber setup and add a huge herd of extra horses?!!
One very good thing about the Holley is that ALL the fittings for it
suit the Weber and it is an easy switch. Last time I looked, it was less
expensive than the Holley.

Have you tried one yet?

Lorne