Re: Gudgeon pin?

To: phil_a_tr8@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Gudgeon pin?
From: StagbyTriumph@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:51:38 EDT
In a message dated 10/4/02 10:36:11 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
phil_a_tr8@hotmail.com writes:

> Maybe some of you kept some when replacing pistons for higher compression.
>
> An other question is when installing piston rings, they says in the manual
> to install them between the gudgeon pin and the thrust face of the piston.
>
> What and where is the thrust face of the piston?

Hello Philippe,
       Thrust face is the top of the piston.

The problem reusing used wrist pins is that they wear in sort of egg shaped
pattern over time on the connection to the rod, the piston holes and pin
itself.  Installing a used one of different wear pattern will probably give
you a rod knock.
Is a new set of pistons out of the question?  They are commonly available in
sets complete with rings and pins for about $400 a set, sometimes less.
       But, if you gotta have one, I have some spares somewhere in my garage
in a box.  At very minimum, you would install the piston with the same used
wrist pin if it is within wear tolerances, but caution, again, proper
procedure is to have the pistons resized for new pins or replace the piston
assembly complete.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
President, Triumph Stag Club USA