Re: NISMO suspension

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NISMO suspension
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:22:24 -0500
>Hi all
>
>I agree with Bill, particularly when racing with fairly narrow rims and
>tyres.
>For interest the following is the set-up that I used in the 1996 Australian
>Historic season for 15 consecutive outright wins. Pardon my lack of modesty!
>;)
>
>Falken RS410 tyres (185/60x14) F/R 30/26 psi (bit like A008 Yokos)
>6 inch superlite mags
>900 lb front springs
>ride height lowered 2 inches over stock
>22mm front anti-roll bar (24mm on really fast tracks)
>Koni shocks (F & R)
>3.5 degrees neg camber (RF), 3 degrees (LF)
>1.0 pos. castor plus half an extra degree on RF for one track with almost all
>left turns
>slightest amount of toe -out
>stock 1600 roadster rear springs with spring eyes reversed - 2 inch drop,
>just
>cambered
>zero toe and camber at rear
>Nismo LSD clutched to about 150 lbs
>track rod added on left to match original on right
>no rear bar or panhard rod
>
>Sorry Howard that the set up secrets have now been revealed!
>
>I would have liked to have tried the 24mm bar with a bit more than stock
>ackermann angle to improve the turn - in. I also wanted to experiment with
>the
>pinion angle to improve the traction for standing starts. I tried 1000 lbs
>front springs bit found them just too hard. Also I tried stiffer rear springs
>with an extra leaf, but went back to stock. The above set up was well
>balanced
>and allowed good front end bite on a sharp trailing throttle. Also car
>could be
>made to either push or oversteer at the exit depending on hard the
>throttle was
>applied. The inside front wheel never carried in the turns.
>
>I hope this may provide a starting point for roadster racers on reasonably
>modest tyres like the ones that I used.

Good points. I need to remember that even the stock setup is pretty stiff
and suspension travel isn't overly generous. That was the biggest reason
we bought our first 510 in '71. It was either get a better riding vehicle
(than the 2000) or risk watching our oldest be born (bounced?) early onto
the floorboard of the roasdster.<G>

I'd guess autocrossers down under have to deal courses that are rougher
than the average road course. Do the 60 series tires tend to make up some
the lack of compliance in the suspension itself?

Later, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)